Monday 9 July 2012

Extract from "Beyond Survivor - My Truth, My Story" TRIGGER WARNING




As I awoke I felt millions of nerve endings scream their rebellion. My head thundered, I could hardly move it off the mattress. I tried to work out how I got in this state. I had drunk myself into oblivion frequently but this was different, my body knew the answer but my brain refused to accept.
I lay there in the light of early dawn, my body seemingly glued to the bed. No pillows softened a place for my head and no sheets covered my naked body. Hours seemed to pass as I tried to focus my thoughts, to gingerly explore why such pain racked my body. I slipped in and out of terrifying sleep. I woke again, managed to focus on the clock on the wall opposite. 10:35 am. Strange, I'd left the flat at 10 pm, what had happened in the past twelve hours to cause this pain.
I slowly moved myself into a sitting position. I almost screamed aloud in pain. I looked around me, my clothes were strewn across the floor, bed clothes heaped amongst them. I tuned to look at the bed, the spot where I had been curled up. My brain screamed no!! There was blood, a lot of blood. I moved sharply, too sharply as invisible knives cut into my flesh. Dried blood along my legs, my hands and arms. Pictures flashed through my head, memories of the night before tormenting me from the shadows of consciousness.

I staggered to the bathroom and emptied the contents of my stomach down the toilet pan. My head was screaming, my body joining in the chorus. I had to clean myself, I made my way to the shower stall and turned on the water. I lay on the floor of the shower stall and let the water pour over me.
I started to cry, big heaving sobs broke free from my chest. I had been raped again.
Later that morning I realised that not 12 hours had passed since I'd left the flat, but a day and a half. This fact frightened me. I could have died and no one would have been any the wiser for days or even weeks. I had no friends, no family at hand. I was alone in a world where it seemed I was getting crazier and crazier with each passing week. It took a few days for the memories to become clear, I had been drinking and had all but passed out in a night club. I was offered a ride home which I had accepted. My first wife and I had not long separated and I was lonely, rarely sober and acted out sexually to anyone who showed the slightest interest in me. The events of my childhood had clouded my perceptions of sexuality, of right and wrong and I had no self respect.

Authors note :-

The memory of this event is quite new. Following the incident I spent months being tested for STDs, thankfully I was clear of all. During this time I began cutting myself again. It was a vain attempt to bleed myself clean of the shame and guilt I felt. I had been a "cutter" as a teenager too, for the same reasons. Shortly after this event a new personality rose through the ranks of my inner army and the memory of the attack was tucked away. With hindsight I can see why things happened the way they did. I can stand to one side of the memory, analyse it, deal with it and then put it where it belongs.

It seems that patterns of abuse emerge when one is able to look back at life with impartiality. Choices I made as a young adult are now, with hindsight, obviously influenced by the conditioning received during childhood. So often in my adult life I had placed myself in abusive situations. I was conditioned to be an underdog, to lie, to steal, to cheat to please others and simply to survive. Physical contact from another was nearly always associated with a feeling of being dirty, of having been used, of waiting for the pain to return.

Those that singled me out to gratify their perverted sexual needs turned an innocent child into a monster.

This is an excerpt from book two in what will be the "Beyond Survivor" trilogy. I hope to get this out and available by the end of this year.

8 comments:

Sabine said...

There is so much I'd like to say - but I can't find the words. I feel like I want to protect the child you once where. The child that's still inside of you, hurting. Oh how I wish I could say "it will be alright" ...

See Something, Say Something said...

I echo every bit of Sabine's loving sentiment! You are a gifted writer drawing us in to your once world, your once reality, and devastating us with the raw truth of your life as a boy. Moments in time, so terrifying, frozen in the mind! I feel tremendous compassion that breaks my heart. The only relief is in knowing you overcame the horror, became a survivor, and that you are in fact the author of this extract. God bless all of you!
CsmthnSaysmthn

Beyond the tears said...

I'm sorry for what you experienced. It's awful. It's true what you say about having to understand the patterns with impartiality or objectivity in order to break free. Love and Light, Lynn

Debbie T said...

Moments like these, words and statements are poor to express the intense of human feelings. But there is love and compassion that each of us, your friends, offer you as a gift. For you, to spread your wings again!

Debbie T said...

Moments like these, words and statements are poor to express the intense of human feelings. But there is love and compassion that each of us, your friends, offer you as a gift. For you, to spread your wings again! ~Debbie~

Patricia Singleton said...

I found myself holding my breath as I read your words and saw the images in my mind, as I felt your confusion and your pain. I didn't recreate any of my childhood abuse in my adult life. I know that I could have and for that I am very grateful that I didn't. I am grateful to my husband for helping me to create a stable life together in which I could heal from incest. Your courage continues to amaze and inspire me to share more of my own story.

Cinnamon Hair said...

The boy grows.
Although pain and loss of self permeates everything you describe, my friend, in a heart wrenching sequence of events... I also see the warrior and his miraculous strength from the first sentence to the last.
Your second book! Another precious arm of awareness. I wonder how many books would your life fill...
We never know what we're capable of, until we look back and se what how long we've come, overcome and become.
Blessed be, T aka Cinnamon Hair

Nikky44 said...

No one is as "human" as the "monster' you are describing. You're so far from being a monster

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...